Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
- Normal Timetable is 10.30 and 2.45 departures from Maldon to Castlemaine return and 12.00 departure from Castlemaine to Maldon return with two hours in Maldon for lunch.
- Bookings are strongly advised to guarantee a seat, however tickets are generally available at stations on day of travel. - Book Online
You can book online up until two hours before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window.
Train running dates:
|SUMMER SPECIAL||Book online during summer and you can obtain a 10% discount. Only available until the 24th February 2019.
(Does not include group fares, Cab Rides, or special event trains) Use Promo code SUMMER10 during online booking to receive discount.
|Sunday February 17th||Normal Timetable - Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains|
|Sunday February 24th||Normal Timetable - Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains|
|Sunday March 3rd||Normal Timetable - Start of Steam Hauled Trains|
|Wednesday March 6th||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday March 10th||Normal Timetable|
|Monday March 11th||Normal Timetable - Labour Day Public Holiday|
|Wednesday March 13th||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday March 17th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday March 20th||Normal Timetable|
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list