PLEASE NOTE: ALL SERVICES ON WEDNESDAY 21ST AUGUST 2019 WILL BE DIESEL HAULED
This is due to unavoidable and essential maintenance of our steam locomotive - we apologise for any inconvenience
Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
Murder on the Orient Express
Stop Press. Due to the popularity of these screenings we have added an extra date: Saturday 31st August - More Details
- Normal Timetable is 10.30 and 2.45 departures from Maldon to Castlemaine return and 12.00 departure from Castlemaine to Maldon return with two hours in Maldon for lunch.
- Bookings are strongly advised to guarantee a seat, however tickets are generally available at stations on day of travel. - Book Online
You can book online up until two hours before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window.
Train running dates:
|Wednesday August 21st||Normal Timetable - PLEASE NOTE: TRAINS WILL BE DIESEL HAULED DUE TO UNAVAILABILITY OF STEAM|
|Sunday August 25th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday August 28th||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday August 31st||Murder on the Orient Express|
|Sunday September 1st||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday September 4th||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday September 8th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday September 11th||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday September 14th||Ales on Rails & Excursion Travel - Seats Available|
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list