Victorian Goldfields Railway
Victorian Goldfields Railway

1881-1890

1881
Maldon - Population steadily decreasing - 2,800.
 

1882
Permanent survey for line from Castlemaine to Maldon and Laanecoorie.
 

August
1882
Contract for Castlemaine to Maldon Line let to A. Nicholls and Co.
 

April
1883
Objections by Castlemaine Borough Council & residents to timber bridge planned for rail over road at Maldon Road (now Pyrenees Highway). Bridge of iron girders and brick piers approved by Railway Commissioners. 
BL#60

1883
Construction delayed by compensation dispute at Maldon. Alliance Mining Company claimed £3000 for part of their claim required for Maldon Station Ground, settled for £250
 

6th
June
1884
The line is opened from Maldon Junction to Maldon, a distance of 10½ miles (16.4 kilometres).
The service provided two return mixed trains each day five days a week. This service was increased to three return trains per day within one year of the opening.
Intermediate station of Muckleford opened with line.
Maldon Junction controlled by a manned signalbox at the junction.
Maldon population of 5,000.
RR#3

19th
August
1884
Maldon - Engine Shed completed.
BL#61 p8

1887 (by)
Train Services - altered to connect with morning 'up' and evening 'down' express on main line, providing a day return service between Maldon and Melbourne.
RR#3

March
1888
Maldon - Present Brick Station building erected - replaced original wooden 'portable'.
BL#61 p8

1889
Maldon - Reticulated Gas Supply for township commences.
The Lambent Flame, John D Keating, Melbourne University Press 1974

2nd
August
1889
Contract let to Barker and Company for construction of a line from Maldon to Laanecoorie. This line was authorised by the Railway Construction Act 1884. 10 mile section to Shelbourne completed with construction beyond suspended. 
BL#48