Part II - DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES
F Class Diesel Electric 0-6-0 Shunting
16 identical units were built by English Electric Co. Ltd., England 1951 to the then British Railways shunting locomotive design modified to broad-gauge. 10 units (Nos310 - 319) were for the Victorian Railways; and 6 units (Nos1 - 6) for the State Electricity Commission of Victoria for shunting at the Yallourn, Morwell and Newport Powerhouse rail sidings. The class was renumbered (Nos201 - 210) to free the 300-319 number series for the S-class diesel-electric locomotives. The SECV units were subsequently absorbed into the VR fleet becoming Nos211 - 216 (ex SECV 3,4,5,6,1,2). Modifications included removal of dual control and conversion to auto coupling.
|1953||Builders number 1915 of 1953.|
Entered SECV service as SECV 4
|1959||Sold to VR on 14/4/1959 (retaining SECV 4 number)|
Renumbered F 212 on 9/8/1959
Purchased by VGR, transferred by road to Maldon
|1988||F 212 used to transfer major portion of VGR stock remaining at Castlemaine to Muckleford & Maldon prior to V/Line rationalisation of Castlemaine Yard|
F 212 is serviceable and regularly used on works trains, demonstration trains and charter passenger workings.
T Class Diesel Electric (Bo-Bo)
Introduced to replace aging steam fleet units on branch line service, 27 units were built by Clyde Engineering Co. Pty. Ltd. of Sydney. A similar unit was purchased by the VR from the Portland Cement Co., in 1969 and converted from 3'6" to 5'3". ( Nos. 320 - 346 & 413). Several batches of similar locomotives with varying upgraded features increased the fleet to a total of 94 units with an additional 5 "H" class units having an increased axle load and low speed controllers for Melbourne yard hump shunting. The "T" Class units were available for use on all VR lines as well as performing main line duties on both passenger and freight work with a maximum speed of 60 mph.
A distinguishing feature of the first series T is the cab being the same height as the hood body, thus they frequently described as 'flat top t's'.
|1956||Builders number 102 of 1956.|
Entered service with the Victorian Railways on 22/7/1956. Initially fitted with controls on left side of cab, later converted to right side
|1960||With B85 involved in runaway without crew following collision at Broadmeadows, the two diesel locomotives and several vehicles running some 16 miles before being diverted to collided with rail trucks in a siding at South Kensington on 14/9/1960|
|1988||Written off 2/1988.|
Purchased by VGR and transferred to Castlemaine and then to Maldon by rail
T 333 is currently in use on mainline operations throughout Australia.
Y Class Diesel Electric (Bo-Bo)
Y 133 is currently on lease to the VGR from Seymour Railway Heritage Centre Inc.
Y Class - Ex Victorian Railway Diesel-Electric Bo-Bo Locomotive. A total of 75 Y Class units were built between 1963 and 1968. These 65 tonne 485 / 559kw units were powered by GM 2 stroke diesel engines, utilising refurbished Melbourne Electric Train bogies. The current unit on the VGR is Y133, on lease from Seymour Railway Heritage Centre. This unit is in VR Blue & Gold.