spring music '17
Saturday 18 November
Here’s something different!
On the afternoon of Saturday 18 November, it’s all aboard the gorgeous old Goldfields steam train, travelling in first class carriages through the beautiful rolling countryside of central Victoria, with live jazz along the way.
Disembark at Maldon, Australia’s very first “notable town”, and head for the historic Kangaroo Hotel for dinner and drinks.
After dinner, amble over to Maldon’s community centre, the Progress Hall, for a live concert featuring four of Australia’s finest musicians: Zoe Black on violin, Josephine Vains on cello, and Ken Murray on guitar, plus wonderful mezzo soprano Kristen Leich. An extraordinary program to showcase this group’s individual and collective talents:
- a moving requiem for solo cello by Sculthorpe
- the much loved, flamboyant folk songs by Spanish composer De Falla for mezzo soprano and guitar
- a work by Australian pianist/composer Chindamo written for and performed by Zoe Black
- a dazzling, virtuosic duo for violin and cello by Halvorsen
- music for violin and guitar by Paganini, the greatest violin virtuoso of the 19th century
- and finally, cabaret songs from Weil’s Threepenny Opera for all four musicians, arranged by local conductor and composer David Kram.
After the concert, you’ll be transported back to Castlemaine, tired but exhilarated (guaranteed!)