Maldon(Altitude 1177 feet / 359 metres)
How to get to Maldon Station
For Maldon Station follow the Calder Fwy (M97) from Melbourne to Fogarty's Gap Road (about 5km past Harcourt turnoff), follow Fogarty's Gap Road and join the Bendigo Road (C283) and you will find the Railway Station just before reaching the main shopping area of Maldon
Melway Reference :
- Maldon Map X909 B5 - Melways 2010
VicRoads Directory Edition 5 :
- Maldon Map 44 C9 and Map 59 C1
See the maps of the Castlemaine Maldon Website for maps of the region and major towns in Mount Alexander Shire.
A Brief History
When the railway was initially opened in June 1884, the passenger facilities were housed in temporary quarters; whilst the engine requisites included a 50 foot turntable, a 6000 gallon water tank, an engine shed and an ash pit. A goods platform and goods shed were provided a few months after the line's opening. Whilst most branch line stations in Victoria were provided with rudimentary portable buildings, Maldon's status as a gold mining centre ensured that it was provided with a standard but substantial brick building complete with a brick faced platform and dock by 1888. The building contained a station master's office, booking and telegraph office, a gentlemen's waiting room and a ladies' waiting room, with a central booking lobby. A galvanised iron annex provided space for the ladies' toilets and a porter's room; the men's toilet being at the western end of the platform. After the cessation of passenger services, the annex fell into disrepair and was dismantled in 1944.
Locomotives were regularly housed in the loco shed until 1923 when they were stabled at the Castlemaine depot and the original shed was dismantled in 1932. The turntable was unserviceable by 1960 and the remains removed in 1966.
Fortunately the station building (with its brick faced platforms, the goods shed, ash-pit and water tank) survived the railway's closure in 1976. Since the line's re-opening, the station building and fencing has been restored and a larger engine shed/workshop has been built based on the original style. A replacement steel framed turntable was obtained from Skipton in 1987.