See Fares & Timetable for days of operation, times and fares.
Trains also operate for group bookings and special events such as Steam Trains for Kids.
Summer Running Policy
On days of Total Fire Ban in the North Central District NO VGR trains will operate.
On days declared Catastrophic or Extreme in the North Central District even when not declared a day of Total Fire Ban.
NO VGR trains will operate.
On days declared 'Severe' (but not a Total Fire Ban) a Diesel locomotive will substitute for steam. Diesel power will also substitute if steam is temporarily unavailable on any scheduled running day, or if the VGR perceives the Fire Risk to be High.
Information regarding days of Total Fire Ban and Days of Catastrophic, Extreme & Severe Weather Conditions can be found at the CFA website.
How to get to the VGR
By Rail - catch a V/Line train - More
By Road - From Melbourne - Take the Calder Highway (M79) to Elphinstone, then the Pyrenees Highway (B180) to Castlemaine.
Castlemaine Railway Station may be accessed from Kennedy Street or Gingle Street (an ample parking area is located right at the pedestrian underpass to the station in Gingle Street). VGR trains operate from No. 3 Platform.
For Maldon Railway Station follow the Calder Fwy (M97) from Melbourne to Fogarty's Gap Road (about 5km past Harcourt turnoff), follow Fogarty's Gap Road and join the Bendigo Road (C283) and you will find the Railway Station just before reaching the main shopping area of Maldon
Melway Reference :
- Maldon Map X909 B5 - Melways 2010
- Castlemaine Map X909 C6 - Melways 2010
VicRoads Directory Edition 5 :
- Maldon Map 44 C9 and Map 59 C1
- Castlemaine Map 59 E2/3
See the maps of the Castlemaine Maldon Website for maps of the region and major towns in Mount Alexander Shire.
Map & Line Gradient Chart of the VGR
Refreshments & Souvenirs
- Tea, coffee, soft drinks, sweets and an extensive range of souvenir items are available at Castlemaine and Maldon Stations.
- Ladies, Gents and Disabled/Changing are provided at Castlemaine and Maldon Stations on running days and at Muckleford during Special Events
- Toilet facilities are not available on trains.
Wheel Chair Access
- Disabled access is available on all regular VGR trains - untilising a specailly modified carriage to accomoadate a small group of wheel chairs (around 5-10) and designed to be carer friendly (note that is available in excursion class only). Please contact the booking office or your train conductor for assistance.
Access to Locomotive Shed, Etc.
- You are welcome to visit the Locomotive Workshed and to inspect the rolling stock collection at Maldon. Visitors are requested to contact the shed staff upon entering the work areas.
- Unauthorised persons are not permitted in the railway yards at Castlemaine.
- Visitors not traveling on the train are urged to help with the ongoing restoration and improvement of the VGR through the purchase of platform tickets.
Observation Platform - Tambo
Places of Interest
- Castlemaine still retains many of its fine Gold Rush buildings. The town offers a range of cafes, hotels and restaurants and an extensive range of shops.
- Maldon, Australia's first notable town, offers a range of antique, specialty shops and cafes. Many places of interest and relics of the gold era are within easy reach of Maldon Railway Station. See our links page.
Things to see and places to stay
- The Mount Alexander District offers a diverse range of attractions for the visitor. See our links page for information about the Mount Alexander District and a comprehensive accommodation guide.