Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
COVID-19 Vaccination Status Requirement - as from 21st November 2021
A condition of entry, all patrons over aged 18 and over must show proof of their COVID-19 vaccination status unless lawful exception applies. Before you arrive, please make sure you have added your COVID-19 digital certificate to the Service Victoria app or bring printed proof of your vaccination, or applicable medical exemption, with you. Proof of ID will be required when providing a printed certificate.
It's Hot, It's Dry and It's too risky to use our Steam Locomotive any more this summer. But don't panic, we're now running the rest of January & February using our Beautifully Restored Heritage Diesel Locomotive - why not join us using our the Late Summer Special of 15% off (Excl. group fares, Cab Rides, or special event trains) - Use Code SUMMER2022 to receive 15% off when booking online.
Unfortunately we can't guarantee we'll be able to operate our Courtesy Bus from Maldon Station into the Maldon township every running day, however the town is a very easy 8 minute walk from the railway station. This is due to limited volunteer availability during the Covid Situation.
Check out this blog for things to do during your visit to Maldon
- We have a revised one train timetable as we return to Covid Normal Operations - Departing from Castlemaine at 11.30am and Maldon from 2.45pm - Giving 2.5hrs in Maldon to enjoy it's many delights - running on Sundays and Wednesdays
- Bookings are required. - Book Online
You can book online up until midnight the day before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window - please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 5470 6658 if you have any queries
LATE SUMMER SPECIAL Book online during late January and February 2022 and you can obtain a 15% discount. Available for travel on regular Sunday Services from 23rd January 2022 until the 27th February 2022 ONLY.
(Does not include group fares, Cab Rides, or special event trains).
Use Promo code SUMMER2022 during online booking to receive discount.
ONE WAY TRAVEL Please use our Request One Way Travel Form to organise One Way Travel - these journeys can start from Castlemaine or Maldon.
PLEASE NOTE: DURING FEBRUARY WE ONLY OPERATE SUNDAY SERVICES USING OUR HERITAGE DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE
Enjoy a covid safe outing this Summer, as you travel in your own compartment or section on one of our Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains.
|Wednesday January 26th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday January 30th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday February 6th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday February 13th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday February 20th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday February 27th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
- On all Sundays and Wednesday we have 1 return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- On Saturdays during School Holidays we also run 1 return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- On a variety of Saturdays through the year we offer special trains, including Ales on Rail, Movie Trains, the Victorian Colonial Express and other unquie experiences - check out upcoming events for more details
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables - PLEASE ENSURE YOUR TRAIN WILL ARRIVE AT CASTLEMAINE BEFORE 11.30am
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list