Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
STEAM IS BACK!! From 17th April 2021
After a slight delay in getting our Steam Locomotive repaired, it'll be back in action from this Saturday - 17th April 2021 - we've still got tickets available on all upcoming trains, book now before you miss out.
Check out this blog for things to do during your visit to Maldon
- We have a revised one train timetable as we return to Covid Normal Operations - Departing from Castlemaine at 11.30am and Maldon from 2.45pm - Giving 2.5hrs in Maldon to enjoy it's many delights. - running on Sundays and Wednesdays
- Bookings are required. - Book Online
You can book online up until 5pm the day before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window - please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 5470 6658 if you have any queries
ONE WAY TRAVEL Please contact us via PH: (03) 5470 6658 or email: email@example.com to book one way fares
|Saturday April 17th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED - Our steam locomotive is back in action!|
|Sunday April 18th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED|
|Wednesday April 21st||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED|
|Saturday April 24th||Ales on Rails & Victorian Colonial Express & Excursion Travel - Seats Available|
|Sunday April 25th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED|
|Wednesday April 28th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED|
- as we return from Covid, from the 29th November our steam train will run on Sundays only.
- we will be only have 1 return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables - PLEASE NOTE: V/LINE HAVE RECENTLY CHANGED TIMETABLES - PLEASE ENSURE YOUR TRAIN WILL ARRIVE AT CASTLEMAINE BEFORE 11.30am
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list