Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
- **The wheelchair access carriage will be unavailable for travel from 1st November for approximately a month**
- We strongly advise pre-booking on line as we can be very busy during holiday times.
- All our weekend school holiday trains feature on board kids entertainment.
- Normal Timetable is 10.30 and 2.45 departures from Maldon to Castlemaine return and 12.00 departure from Castlemaine to Maldon return with two hours in Maldon for lunch.
Train running dates:
|Wednesday October 18th||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday October 22nd||Normal Timetable - Also: Mucklefest & Victorian Colonial Express|
|Wednesday October 25th||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday October 29th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday November 1st||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday November 4th||Special Train to Muckleford for the Folk festival - Watch this space for details...|
|Sunday November 5th||Normal Timetable|
|Tuesday November 7th (Melbourne Cup)||Ales on Rails - BOOKED OUT|
|Wednesday November 8th||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday November 12th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday November 15th||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday November 19th||Normal Timetable|
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry, no prams, pushers or infants under 4 in first class
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list