Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
- Normal Timetable is 10.30 and 2.45 departures from Maldon to Castlemaine return and 12.00 departure from Castlemaine to Maldon return with two hours in Maldon for lunch.
- Bookings are essential to guarantee your seats - Book Online
Train running dates:
Special Ausust only offer for online bookings
20% off all standard fares booked online during August for travel in the the month of August for Wednesdays and Sundays. (Does not include group fares, Cab Rides, or special event trains) Use Promo code WINTER20 during online booking to receive discount. - Book Online Now
|Saturday August 18th||Ales on Rails & Excursion Travel|
|Sunday August 19th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday August 22nd||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday August 25th||Murder on the Orient Express|
|Sunday August 26th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday August 29th||Normal Timetable|
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry, no prams, pushers or infants under 4 in first class
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list