Victorian Goldfields Railway
coronavirus COVID-19 update - 23 March 2020
We know this is a challenging time for all as we continue to receive updates and follow the Australian and Victorian Government's advice surrounding this global health emergency.
Like many other organisations, the safety and wellbeing of our visitors, volunteers, staff and the community is our top priority.
As a result, the decision has been made to suspend all advertised VGR passenger services from the 23rd March 2020 until 30 June 2020.
Thank you for your patience and continued support. We look forward to a time when it is safe to resume normal passenger operations and engage in normal community activities.
Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
- Normal Timetable is 10.30 and 2.45 departures from Maldon to Castlemaine return and 12.00 departure from Castlemaine to Maldon return with two hours in Maldon for lunch.
- Bookings are strongly advised to guarantee a seat, however tickets are generally available at stations on day of travel. - Book Online
You can book online up until two hours before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window.
Train running dates:
As a result of A ustralian and Victorian Government's advice surrounding the global COVID-19 pandmeic, the decision has been made to suspend all advertised VGR passenger services from 23rd March until 30 June 2020.
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list