Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- lean out the window
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- enjoy a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
There are no booked seats or bookings on any train. To ensure a ticket or seat please arrive 1/2 hour before advertised departure times.
We will reserve seats/compartments for any group of 10 or more and special discounted fares apply.
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list
Summer Running Policy
On days declared by the CFA to be a Total Fire Ban NO scheduled VGR trains will run.
The VGR may decide to cancel services on any day if we regard weather conditions to be unsuitable to run trains - any cancellations will be posted on our website and facebook page.
At any time during the summer and autumn period we may substitute diesel locomotives for steam if we regard weather conditions to be unsuitable for the operation of steam engines. Due to the unfavourable weather conditions forecast for central Victoria this summer we have announced that all advertised trains will run with diesel locomotives from 1 Dec 2015 to at least 28 Feb 2016.
Information regarding days of Total Fire Ban and danger ratings can be found at the CFA website.