Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
We are ready to welcome you back for a great day out but some things have changed a little bit to ensure we stay Covid safe!
We are strictly abiding by all Covid regulations and ask for your cooperation in adhering to them.
Please read through the following information to make sure you are aware of some new conditions which are in place to ensure we offer the best and safest experience for you when you visit our Railway.
We are hoping to run all trains up until 24th January with a Steam Locomotive, however if fire danger is high we may need to substitute a Heritage Diesel Locomotive - check out our Summer Running Policy
It is a MUST to prebook - no bookings can be taken on the day of travel
Bookings close at 5pm the day before running
We are starting back with only Sunday trips to begin with but aim to include Wednesdays to our timetable in the near future.
We will run one return trip per day starting from Castlemaine. Our timetable has changed so please check departure times.
No One Way fares are available at this time
Seating will be allocated so please check your booking confirmation for your carriage and compartment numbers. Please do not board the train until you have located your name on a carriage door.
Please check if wheelchair access is available prior to booking so correct seating can be allocated
Excursion Class bookings of up to six people in the one household or bubble is allocated exclusive use of their own compartment.If a booking is made for more than 6 people, an extra compartment will be allocated.
First Class seating will be allocated to ensure appropriate social distancing is achieved.Bookings must be made in the name of a person travelling to ensure accurate records are kept.
If applying to use a voucher you MUST MAKE YOUR REQUEST AT LEAST 48 HOURS PRIOR TO TRAVEL to allow time for your request to be processed. You cannot travel unless you receive a booking confirmation via email.
Please do not attend if you are unwell.
Check out this blog for things to do during your visit to Maldon
- We have a revised Sunday Only one train timetable as we return to Covid Normal Operations - Departing from Castlemaine at 11.30am and Maldon from 2.45pm - Giving 2.5hrs in Maldon to enjoy it's many delights.
- Bookings are required. - Book Online
You can book online up until 5pm the day before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window.
^ We are now able to offer 2 additional days of Steam Hauled Trains - 17th & 24th January! However if fire danger is high we may need to, without notice, substitute a Heritage Diesel Locomotive - check out our Summer Running Policy
|Sunday January 10th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED^ - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Sunday January 17th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED^ - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Sunday January 24th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED^ - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Sunday January 31st||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Sunday February 7th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Sunday February 14th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Sunday February 21st||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Sunday February 28th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
- as we return from Covid, from the 29th November our steam train will run on Sundays only.
- we will be only have 1 return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list