Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
- We strongly advise pre-booking on line as we can be very busy during holiday times.
- Normal Timetable is 10.30 and 2.30 departures from Maldon to Castlemaine return and 11.45 departure from Castlemaine to Maldon return with two hours in Maldon for lunch.
Train running dates:
|Wednesday May 24th||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday May 27th||Ales on Rails Booked out. Next Ales on Rails Train is Sat 29 July.|
|Sunday May 28th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday May 31st||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday June 3rd||Murder on the Orient Express Movie Train On line bookings essential - Very few tickets still available.|
|Sunday June 4th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday June 7th||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday June 10th**||Normal Timetable Holiday Weekend - No extra trains as previously advertised|
|Sunday June 11th**||Normal Timetable Holiday Weekend - No extra trains as previously advertised|
|Monday June 12th||Normal Timetable Queens Birthday Public Holiday|
|Wednesday June 14th||Normal Timetable|
|** Unfortunately this year we will not be having Jazz music on the train as part of the Castlemaine Jazz Festival.|
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list