Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
- We strongly advise pre-booking on line as we can be very busy during holiday times.
- Normal Timetable is 10.30 and 2.30 departures from Maldon to Castlemaine return and 11.45 departure from Castlemaine to Maldon return with two hours in Maldon for lunch.
Train running dates:
|Saturday July 22nd|| Murder on the Orient Express Movie Train |
Booked out Read More
|Sunday July 23rd||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday July 26th||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday July 29th||Ales on Rails Booked Out - Some seats still available for the 7th November Read More|
|Sunday July 30th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday August 2nd||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday August 6th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday August 9th||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday August 12th||Ales on Rails Booked Out - Some seats still available for the 7th November Read More|
|Sunday August 13th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday August 16th||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday August 20th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday August 23rd||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday August 26th|| Murder on the Orient Express Movie Train |
Booked out - more screenings Winter 2018 Read More
|Sunday August 27th||Normal Timetable|
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry, no prams, pushers or infants under 4 in first class
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list