Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
All of our seating is pre allocated. If you are traveling with family or friends who have booked separately, please let us know as soon as you book so we can organise for you to sit you together - via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately we can't guarantee we'll be able to operate our Courtesy Bus from Maldon Station into the Maldon township every running day, however the town is a very easy 8 minute walk from the railway station. This is due to limited volunteer availability during the Covid Situation.
We'll be running our Heritage Diesel Engine rather than Steam from 1st Jan 2023 to 3th April 2023 while our Steam Engine undergoes a Major Mechanical Overhaul.
Check out this blog for things to do during your visit to Maldon
- We have a revised one train timetable as we return to Covid Normal Operations - Departing from Castlemaine at 11.30am and Maldon from 2.45pm - Giving 2.5hrs in Maldon to enjoy it's many delights - running on Sundays and Wednesdays
- Bookings are required. - Book Online
You can book online up until midnight the day before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window - please contact us at email@example.com or 03 5470 6658 if you have any queries
ONE WAY TRAVEL Please use our Request One Way Travel Form to organise One Way Travel - these journeys can start from Castlemaine or Maldon.
|Wednesday August 17th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED|
|Sunday August 21st||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED|
|Wednesday August 24th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED|
|Sunday August 28th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED|
|Wednesday August 31st||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED|
- On all Sundays and Wednesday we have 1 return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- On Saturdays during School Holidays we also run 1 return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- On a variety of Saturdays through the year we offer special trains, including Ales on Rail, Movie Trains, the Victorian Colonial Express and other unquie experiences - check out upcoming events for more details
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables - PLEASE ENSURE YOUR TRAIN WILL ARRIVE AT CASTLEMAINE BEFORE 11.30am
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list