20% OFF FARES UNTIL THE END OF SUMMER - BOOK NOW
Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
Check out this blog for things to do during your visit to Maldon
- We have a revised one train timetable as we return to Covid Normal Operations - Departing from Castlemaine at 11.30am and Maldon from 2.45pm - Giving 2.5hrs in Maldon to enjoy it's many delights.
- Until the end of February 2021 we will be running on Sundays Only
- From March 2021 we will return to running Sundays & Wednesdays - to the same one train timetable
- Bookings are required. - Book Online
You can book online up until 5pm the day before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window.
LATE SUMMER SPECIAL Book online during late January and February 2021 and you can obtain a 20% discount. Available for travel on regular Sunday Services from 31st January 2021 until the 28th February 2021 ONLY.
(Does not include group fares, Cab Rides, or special event trains).
Use Promo code SUMMER 21 during online booking to receive discount.
|Sunday February 28th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Wednesday March 3rd||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Sunday March 7th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Monday March 8th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Wednesday March 10th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
|Sunday March 14th||Normal Timetable - STEAM HAULED - 1 Return Service from Castlemaine|
- as we return from Covid, from the 29th November our steam train will run on Sundays only.
- we will be only have 1 return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables - PLEASE NOTE: V/LINE HAVE RECENTLY CHANGED TIMETABLES - PLEASE ENSURE YOUR TRAIN WILL ARRIVE AT CASTLEMAINE BEFORE 11.30am
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list