Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
- Normal Timetable is 10.30 and 2.45 departures from Maldon to Castlemaine return and 12.00 departure from Castlemaine to Maldon return with two hours in Maldon for lunch.
- Bookings are strongly advised to guarantee a seat, however tickets are generally available at stations on day of travel. - Book Online
You can book online up until two hours before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window.
Please Note: With the prediction of High Fire Danger this coming summer season, the VGR will begin running Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains from 29th December until the end of February 2020.
We do reserve the right to use a Heritage Diesel Engine at any time if the conditions are not suitable to the use of Steam.
We are in a very high fire danger area and this is one of the ways we can help ensure the safety of our passengers, railway staff and local communities of Maldon, Castlemaine & surrounds. - View our Summer Running Policy
SUMMER SPECIAL Book online during summer and you can obtain a 25% discount - both First & Excursion Class. Available from 5th January 2020 until the 23rd February 2020. (Does not include group fares, Cab Rides, or special event trains) Use Promo code SUMMER25 during online booking to receive discount.
Train running dates:
|Saturday January 18th||Maldon Twilight Dinner - Special Train|
|Sunday January 19th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Wednesday January 22nd||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday January 26th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Wednesday January 29th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday February 2nd||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday February 9th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday February 16th||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
|Sunday February 23rd||Normal Timetable - DIESEL HAULED|
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list