Welcome to the Victorian Goldfields Railway; the authentic steam heritage train linking the historic gold mining towns of Castlemaine and Maldon in Central Victoria.
Enjoy a family day out or treat yourself and travel in our elegant first class carriages as you travel through the central Victorian Goldfields.
- Normal Timetable is 10.30 and 2.45 departures from Maldon to Castlemaine return and 12.00 departure from Castlemaine to Maldon return with two hours in Maldon for lunch.
- Bookings are strongly advised to guarantee a seat, however tickets are generally available at stations on day of travel. - Book Online
You can book online up until two hours before travel and you need only show your smartphone receipt at booking window.
Looking for Christmas Gift Ideas?We all have those hard to buy for friends or family.......... Not another box of hankies or trivia!
People value and appreciate great experiences rather than material gifts.
This festive season give a memorable experience..........
A nostalgic ride on the wonderful Victorian Goldfields Railway.
- family fun or first class elegance: we have a certificate to suit all your friends and family
- no expiry date
- attractive certificates
- premium first class deal offers refreshment package plus guide book
Buy them here- Gift Certificates
Please Note: - We will now be running Steam Trains until 9th January 2019. With the prediction of High Fire Danger this coming summer season, the VGR will begin running Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains from 13th January (previously advertised as 19th December) until the end of February 2019 We do reserve the right to use a Heritage Diesel Engine at any time if the conditions are not suitable to the use of a Steam.
We are in a very high fire danger area and this is one of the ways we can help ensure the safety of our passengers, railway staff and local communities of Maldon, Castlemaine & surrounds. - View our Summer Running Policy
Train running dates:
|SUMMER SPECIAL||Book online during summer and you can obtain a 10% discount. Only available until the 24th February 2019.
(Does not include group fares, Cab Rides, or special event trains) Use Promo code SUMMER10 during online booking to receive discount.
|Sunday December 16th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday December 19th||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday December 23rd||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday December 26th||NO TRAINS ON THIS DAY - Apologies for any inconvenience|
|Sunday December 30th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday January 2nd||Normal Timetable|
|Sunday January 6th||Normal Timetable|
|Wednesday January 9th||Normal Timetable|
|Saturday January 12th||Maldon Twilight Dinner Train - Steam Hauled - Ticket for Dinner & Train or Dinner only available More Details|
|Sunday January 13th||Normal Timetable - Start of Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains|
|Wednesday January 16th||Normal Timetable - Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains|
|Sunday January 20th||Normal Timetable - Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains|
|Wednesday January 23rd||Normal Timetable - Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains|
|Sunday January 27th||Normal Timetable - Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains|
|Wednesday January 30th||Normal Timetable - Heritage Diesel Hauled Trains|
- steam trains run Sundays and Wednesdays and some holiday Saturdays.
- choose from one of 2 return trips from Maldon to Castlemaine OR one return trip from Castlemaine to Maldon.
- trains connect with V/Line fast trains to and from Melbourne at Castlemaine station. View V/line timetables
- regular event trains run on many Saturdays. See Upcoming Events panel on this page for links to those. Note most event trains require pre booking.
- take the kids for a memorable day out
- watch the world go by from your family compartment
- open the windows
- spot the kangaroos
- listen to the engine huff and puff up the hills
- children aged 3 and under travel at no charge
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- ride in Edwardian splendour or art deco elegance
- purchase a drink from the fully equipped bar
- end viewing platform on our parlour car
- sorry we are unable to accommodate children aged 3 and under
- get up close and personal in the engine cab
- you can drive one of our heritage steam or diesel locomotives on your own private goods train
- live the dream!
- add to your bucket list