Maldon Line 125th Anniversary
Saturday 13th June 2009
The Castlemaine to Maldon Railway Line was opened for traffic on Friday the 16th of June 1884. Saturday the 13th of June 2009 was selected as the day to celebrate the 125th Anniversary. A special steam hauled train operated by Steamrail Victoria made a connection with a VGR train at Castlemaine. Passengers changed trains and continued their journey to Maldon on the branch-line train. The day closely followed the published programme as follows:
- 10.00am VGR double headed train in position at Platform 3 Castlemaine Railway Station. Platform Entertainment.
- 10.30am - Steamrail train hauled by double R Class locos arrive.
- 10.45am - Official send off and speeches.
- 11.00am - VGR celebratory train departs for Maldon.
- 11.30am - Train passes through Muckleford Station. Train will be greeted by historic vehicles, CFA and members of the public.
- 12 midday - Arrives at Maldon. Welcome ceremony.
- 12.30pm - Celebration Parade departs, travel along Hornsby Street, left into Phoenix Street, left into Vincent Street, turn right into festival site.
- 3.15pm - VGR train departs Maldon, returning to Castlemaine hauled by double headed J Class locos.
- 4.38pm - Steamrail double-headed R Class train arrives in Castlemaine from Bendigo.
- 5.05pm - Steamrail and VGR trains depart Castlemaine simultaneously. Trains part at Maldon spur line. Steamrail continues to Melbourne Arriving 7.30pm at Southern Cross Station.
- 6.05 pm - VGR train arrives back in Maldon
- 6.30pm - ( for 7.00pm ) Celebration Dinner at Maldon Community Centre. Includes book launch.