FILM & TV OPPORTUNITIES ON THE VGR
Producers have found that the Victorian Goldfields Railway is a wonderful location for Film and TV productions offering a wide range of locations over the length of the railway line, offering period scenes covering 100 years from the 1880's to the 1980's and beyond.
Our railway's first screen debut was for a television commercial in the late 1980's and has since played host to a number of blockbuster Australian films including the multi-award winning movie "The Dress Maker"
The Victorian Goldfields Railway as a location for film & TV productions
The VGR is ideal for film makers. Our comprehensive railway offers productions a wide range of authentic features and can be used as a location for any period between 1880 to the modern day.
Added to that, the VGR boasts film-friendly staff with extensive first-hand knowledge of the particular requirements of both large and small-scale productions.
A Great Location
The VGR offers a wide range of locations across the length of the line and is only a 75 minute drive from Melbourne.Original features include:
- Three stations – Castlemaine (Main line station), Muckleford (small country station) & Maldon (terminus)
- Approximately 18 kilometres of railway
- A large signal box
- Many wooden trestle bridges
- Four level crossings
- Two turntables
- 1880’s – 1960’s period carriages
- Steam locomotives from the 1920’s – 1980’s period
- Diesel locomotives from the 1950’s – 1980’s period
- Extensive first hand knowledge of film production requirements
- Marshall Batteries – ‘Holler for a Marshall’. TV commercial. 1990
- The Man From Snowy River. TV series. Circa 1990’s
- Discover Downunder. TV documentary. 2009
- Mrs Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. ABC drama series. 2011
- White Pages – ‘Getting You Found’. TV commercial. 2015
- The Dress Maker. Feature Film. 2015
- Herschelle. TV documentary. 2016
- Photo Number #6. TV documentary. 2016
- True Story of the Kelly gang. Feature Film. 2018
- Glitch - series #3. TV series. 2018
If you are looking to re-create a particular period the VGR can advise on the type and availability of locomotives and carriages, stations and other period significant items.
Whatever advice you require please contact our Media Liaison Officer, Jonathan Newton:
Telephone: 0401 722 443