Which Ticket is Best for Me?
We now offer Online Bookings!!
All our regular trains operate with both family friendly excursion class carriages and the elegant first class classic rail experience carriages
- bring the kids for a memorable day out
- ride the authentic steam era carriages and experience living history first hand
- see how people travelled when life was a lot more leisurely
- travel in your own family compartment
- open the windows
- family tickets available on all trains
- children under the age of 4 travel free in excursion class only - please reply to your booking confirmation email with a request to add the correct number of infants, to ensure we allocate sufficient seats.
- a unique rail experience
- ride in both our classic carriages; Edwardian elegance in the parlour car and art deco sophistication in the Pullman club car which is air-conditioned for your comfort
- choose from cosy compartments or open lounges
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- experience the Golden Age of rail travel when the journey was as important as the destination
- step outside and admire the scenery from the end viewing platform of the parlour car
- purchase a drink or snack from our fully equipped bar as the Steward attends to you
- First Class - A Touch of Elegance
Disabled access is available on all regular VGR trains - untilising a specially modified carriage to accommodate a small group of wheel chairs (around 5-10) and designed to be carer friendly (note that is available in excursion class only). Please contact the booking office or your train conductor for assistance.
† excursion Class travel is available on all VGR trains.
Ride with the Driver - for an modest extra fee, a ride on the engine can be added to your train journey experience. Enquire at the booking office for details and availability. Cab rides can be given as a gift - see our Ride with the Driver Page
Concessions are available for groups - see our Group Travel Options
Summer Running Policy
On days declared by the Country Fire Authority (CFA) to be a Total Fire Ban (TFB) with a rating of extreme or code red no scheduled VGR trains will run. VGR trains may run on a TFB if the CFA rating is severe or less-further information will be posted on the VGR website and Facebook page on these days.
The VGR may decide to cancel services on any day if we regard weather conditions to be unsuitable to run trains - any cancellations will be posted on our website and facebook page.
At any time during the summer and autumn period we may substitute diesel locomotives for steam if we regard weather conditions to be unsuitable for the operation of steam engines (generally if the temperature is forcast to be 35oC or greater). Due to the unfavourable weather conditions of central Victoria during summer we have a duty of care to our passenger, staff and local communities to provide a safe and bushfire risk free operation.
Information regarding days of Total Fire Ban and danger ratings can be found at the CFA website.
Need more information?
Contact the VGR Office on:
for details and group bookings.