Which Ticket is Best for Me?
We now offer Online Bookings!!
All our regular trains operate with both family friendly excursion class carriages and the elegant first class classic rail experience carriages
- bring the kids for a memorable day out
- ride the authentic steam era carriages and experience living history first hand
- see how people travelled when life was a lot more leisurely
- travel in your own family compartment
- open the windows
- family tickets available on all trains
- a unique rail experience
- ride in both our classic carriages; Edwardian elegance in the parlour car and art deco sophistication in the Pullman club car which is airconditioned for your comfort
- choose from cosy compartments or open lounges
- step back in time to an era of elegance and decadence
- experience the Golden Age of rail travel when the journey was as important as the destination
- step outside and admire the scenery from the end viewing platform of the parlour car
- purchase a drink or snack from our fully equipped bar as the Steward attends to you
- First Class - A Touch of Elegance
Disabled access is available on all regular VGR trains - untilising a specailly modified carriage to accomoadate a small group of wheel chairs (around 5-10) and designed to be carer friendly (note that is available in excursion class only). Please contact the booking office or your train conductor for assistance.
Please Note: From 1st January 2018 there will be slight price increase - View Fares from 1st January
† excursion Class travel is available on all VGR trains.
Ride with the Driver - for an modest extra fee, a ride on the engine can be added to your train journey experience. Enquire at the booking office for details and availability. Cab rides can be given as a gift - see our Ride with the Driver Page
Concessions are available for groups - see our Group Travel Options
Summer Running Policy
On days declared by the Country Fire Authority (CFA) to be a Total Fire Ban (TFB) with a rating of extreme or code red no scheduled VGR trains will run. VGR trains may run on a TFB if the CFA rating is severe or less-further information will be posted on the VGR website and Facebook page on these days.
The VGR may decide to cancel services on any day if we regard weather conditions to be unsuitable to run trains - any cancellations will be posted on our website and facebook page.
At any time during the summer and autumn period we may substitute diesel locomotives for steam if we regard weather conditions to be unsuitable for the operation of steam engines. Due to the unfavourable weather conditions of central Victoria during summer we have announced that all advertised trains will run with diesel locomotives from 1 Dec 2016 to at least 28 Feb 2017.
Information regarding days of Total Fire Ban and danger ratings can be found at the CFA website.
Need more information?
Contact the VGR Office on:
for details and group bookings.