Castlemaine(Altitude 918 feet/ 280 metres)
How to get to Castlemaine Station
By Rail - catch a V/Line train - More
By Road - From Melbourne - Take the Calder Highway (M79) to Elphinstone, then the Pyrenees Highway (B180) to Castlemaine.
The station may be accessed from Kennedy Street or Gingle Street (an ample parking area is located right at the pedestrian underpass to the station in Gingle Street). VGR trains operate from No. 3 Platform.
Disabled access is available to Platform 3 via the ramp accessed from V/line's Platform 1
Melway Reference :
- Castlemaine Map X909 C6 - Melways 2010
VicRoads Directory Edition 5 :
- Castlemaine Map 59 E2/3
See the maps of the Castlemaine Maldon Website for maps of the region and major towns in Mount Alexander Shire.
A Brief History
Gold was discovered at Forest Creek (Castlemaine) in September, 1851. The area became known as the Mount Alexander Diggings, taking the name from Mount Alexander near by. The Government set up its camp in the area which became Castlemaine. Developing with the wealth of the goldfields, the township was laid out with wide streets, botanic gardens and grand buildings, much of which remains today.
This station opened in 1862 and was the major junction station on the Bendigo line known then as the 'Main Line', i.e. the most important country line in Victoria. Castlemaine was a large centre and such was the economic and political clout of the locality that the planned Bendigo railway was diverted through rough country, necessitating construction of the Elphinstone tunnel, to reach the municipality rather than following an initial proposal of a branch-line from a mainline located further east.
Castlemaine station had three passenger platforms, an interlocked yard with two signal boxes, and extensive goods' facilities together with a locomotive sub-depot located at the northern end of the yard. Despite all of this, there were further substantial extensions early in the 20th century. During the heyday of the Maldon Railway, the austere branch-line facilities were a stark contrast compared to the characteristically lavish style of the Castlemaine buildings and facilities.
The Castlemaine 'A' signal-box is a prominent feature on the island platform. It is one of
the few remaining mechanical signal-boxes in Victoria and the larger of the two signal-
boxes that existed at Castlemaine. Both boxes were decommissioned in 1989) and
replaced by a signal control panel in the station building. Whilst the 'B' box was
demolished, the 'A' box is now operational and under the custodianship of VGR controls
our railway operations at Castlemaine. It has been refurbished by our membership
together with the very generous assistance of the Castlemaine Lions Club and is open for
inspection by our passengers on our operating days.